From the moment the ink dries there are important tattoo aftercare instructions you need to follow to make sure your new ink remains healthy, clear and bright for years to come.
Basic tattoo aftercare tips
If you have any questions about tattoo aftercare, ask your tattoo artist at the time what needs to be done. but if you didn’t get the chance, or you were too giddy to remember what they said, then check out these basic aftercare tips:
1) Leave your bandage on for at least a couple of hours after getting your tattoo. It’s there for a reason- to stop the bleeding and compact the wound, so leave it on.
2) And yes, it is a wound, so don’t get it infected!! Never touch it without cleaning your hands first, and clean it with soft, non-scented anti-bacterial soap, at least 3 times per day.
3) Keep it hydrated. This doesn’t mean splashing water on it when you wake up. For the first few days apply ointment. These can be bought from us or from any good chemist, but use sparingly, don’t cut off the air to your skin.
4) For the first couple of weeks, try not to agitate the healing process by wearing tight clothes that will rub against your tattoo. If it’s on your back, learn to sleep on your front.
5) Avoid swimming pools, spas or hot tubs. Again, this is a great way to get an infection. Try to avoid any activity that makes you sweat, and don’t expose your new tattoo to direct sunlight.
6) And last, but not least, don’t pick at it!
Just remember to stick to these basic rules and you and your tattoo will be fine. For long-term care, always use sunscreen (which you should be using anyway), and keep your tattoo moisturised.
If you’re looking for a new tattoo, then Chapel Tattoo are here to help. We’re one of Melbourne’s cleanest, most respected and professional tattoo studios. Call us today to make a booking.